National Suicide Prevention Day
Sep 11, 2017 | By NDVets | No Comments
Suicide is the tenth leading cause of death in the United States, the military population is particularly at-risk with 22 per DAY.
You don’t have to have a clinical background to do your part in reducing these numbers.
First, pay attention to and notice when people are showing signs of suicide such as:
- Talking about wanting to die or to kill oneself.
- Looking for a way to kill oneself.
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live.
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain.
- Talking about being a burden to others.
- Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs
Secondly, taking the time to let people know you are here and that you care.
- Direct them to the VA Hospital Emergency Room at the VA with support to get them there safely.
- Call 911.
- Contact the Veterans Crisis Line 800 273-TALK
- Text 838255
- CHAT Line http://home/ndvets/public_html/wp.veteranscrisisline.net/ChatTermsOfService.aspx
You can make a difference and thanks for caring.